Enhanced Situational Awareness and Airport Safety Nets for the vehicle drivers should be used by those vehicle drivers who are allowed to operate in the manoeuvring area of an aerodrome. The system consists of the following improvements for the vehicle drivers:
1. Provision of an Airport Moving Map in the vehicle, together with the display of the surrounding traffic, to enhance the driver’s situation awareness: The Airport Moving Map function indicates the position of the vehicle on the airfield and the Ground Traffic Display function displays other traffic operating on the movement area of the airport. The other traffic to be displayed includes both aircraft and vehicles.
2. Provision of alerts to vehicle drivers to warn them of situations that if not corrected could end up in hazardous situations. Two types of alerts are considered:
a) Traffic alerts to warn the vehicle driver of a potential or actual conflict with an aircraft. Traffic alerts are not triggered with another vehicle but only with an aircraft.
b) Area infringement alerts to warn the vehicle driver when the vehicle is in a closed or restricted area while the vehicle is operating on the manoeuvring area.
The alerts are provided to the vehicle drivers in the form of an aural and/or visual alert with two levels of alert severity depending on the severity of situations:
• Caution alert for the less critical situations; and
• Warning alert for the most critical situations.
Two implementations have been considered for the generation of alerts:
1. Alerts may be generated by an on-board system; or
2. Alerts may be generated by a centralised server (connected to the A-SMGCS) with an uplink to the vehicle.
In implementation of this functionality, the frequency load of 1030/1090 MHz should be considered.
Increased situational awareness is essential for operations at airports especially in adverse weather conditions or other similar operating situations. Situational Awareness is important for vehicle drivers as they need to operate within the manoeuvring area regardless of weather conditions.
NOTE FOR MILITARY AUTHORITIES: It is the responsibility of each military authority to review this Objective IN ITS ENTIRETY and address each of the SLoAs that the military authority considers RELEVANT for itself. This has to be done on top and above of the review of "MIL" SLoAs which identify actions EXCLUSIVE to military authorities.
|REG01||Promulgate the procedures for use of Enhanced Situational Awareness and Airport Safety Nets for vehicle drivers||
|APO01||Install "Onboard Ground Vehicle System" to process and display the own position and surrounding traffic||
|APO02||Install SNET function in "Onboard Ground Vehicle System", to provide alerts to vehicle drivers||
|APO03||Develop the procedures for use of "Onboard Ground Vehicle System" and SNET||
|APO04||Develop safety assessment of the changes imposed by "Onboard Ground Vehicle System" and SNET||
|APO05||Train all relevant staff in the use of "Onboard Ground Vehicle System" and SNET||
|INT01||Develop standard for interface between A-SMGCS and On Board Ground Vehicle System||
SJU - SESAR Solution 04: Data pack for Enhanced traffic situational awareness and airport safety nets for the vehicle drivers
|APO01, APO02, APO03, APO04, APO05, INT01, REG01|